Mayor Josh Maxwell is a lifelong resident of Chester County, and is serving in his 3rd term as Downingtown’s mayor. Elected in 2010 as Downingtown's youngest mayor at the age of 26, Mayor Maxwell has been an active advocate for the environment, infrastructure investment, and equality.
As Mayor, Josh has balanced 6 straight no-tax increase budgets, negotiated the largest public and private investment in Downingtown’s history in the form of a transit-oriented and train station development, and has been a vocal advocate for drug treatment and domestic violence charities.
Besides serving in the part-time mayoral position, Josh works as a USAID contractor, developing international development programs around the world. He holds a BA from West Chester University and an MPA from the University of Pennsylvania. Josh lives in Downingtown with his wife, Blair.
Josh is proud to support social and economic causes in Downingtown, Chester County, and state- and nationwide. Some of his involvements include:
- Chester County Coalition to End Gender-Based Violence
- Men Can End Domestic Violence Campaign
- Coatesville Area NAACP
- Mayors Against Illegal Guns
- Mayors National Climate Change Action Agenda
- Mayors for 100% Clean Energy
- Founder, Downingtown Main Street Association (Current iteration)
- Downingtown Community Education Foundation (Former Member)
- La Communidad Hispana GED Teacher (Former)