Standing up to Trump
In 2016, then-candidate Donald Trump tweeted disparaging remarks about an abandoned industrial site in Downingtown—little knowing that Josh and the borough council had big plans to transform it into a state-of-the-art, LEED-certified mixed-use and transit-oriented development by bringing in a $224 million dollar investment.
Josh is proud to have stood up against Trump's lies about Downingtown and its future, and to have shown what a small town can do when it pulls together to rebuild and reuse.
- Mayor responds to Trumps Tweet about Downingtown
- Trump Disses Downingtown, Mayor Fires Back
- Downingtown mayor has a huge problem with Trump’s tweeted photo - WHYY
- Sonoco paper mill in Downingtown Trump tweeted about is getting a transformation
- Downingtown Borough officials working on site poised for the train station relocation
Budget and Administrative
Most recently, Downingtown council discussed its 2019 proposed $11.9 M budget. This is the seventh consecutive year without a tax increase. The budget includes funds from parking costs for the Green Street crosswalk, a project being led by Maxwell after senior citizens asked him for help. Maxwell helped initiate the project to make its safer for the seniors to cross the street near the Kardon Park entrance. The council members noted that pedestrians typically jaywalk in that area and this will make it safer for everyone to have a crosswalk.
Activism on Gender-Based Violence
Josh is a proud ally to all affected by gender-based and domestic violence, and has held fundraisers and attended rallies to put an end to all such crimes in Chester County.
- Downingtown Mayor Maxwell attends White House summit to end sexual violence
- Downingtown Mayor Josh Maxwell announces 5K to “end gender-based violence”
- Rally set in Downingtown to end domestic violence
Blair and Josh get married
Josh and his wife, the author Blair Thornburgh (and granddaughter of former Pennsylvania Governor Dick Thornburgh), were married in August, 2018, and celebrated their reception at Downingtown's own beautiful Dane Decor.
Josh is proud and humbled to have earned the endorsement of many progressive groups throughout the years.
- The Southeastern Pennsylvania National Organization for Women PAC has endorsed Josh Maxwell
- Equality Pennsylvania, the Commonwealth’s leading LGBTQ advocacy organization, has endorsed Downingtown Mayor Josh Maxwell
- Moms Demand Action honors Downingtown mayor
Community Events & Leadership
As mayor, Josh knows the power of a dedicated community, and has helped found, organize, facilitate, and run everything from citizens' awards to community cleanups to vigils and rallies.
- About 50 Downingtown area residents helped clean up the Lindley Hill Cemetery, the final resting place of many African-American Civil War soldiers. Downingtown Mayor Josh Maxwell organized the clean-up with leaders from Bethel AME Church and reached out to community members to volunteer their help.
- Downingtown students named mayor for a day
- Downingtown firefighters, mayor practice rescue
- St. James Place residents and Downingtown mayor paint bridge together
- Ice-Bucket Challenge
- Downingtown honors 'good neighbor' with award
- Mayor highlights borough during council's reorganization meeting
- Brandywine Wallace student acts as Downingtown mayor for a day
- Vigil held in Downingtown for Sandy Hook victims
- Honoring Downingtown Police Chief McGowan
- Mayor: Downingtown's Good Neighbor Day is one of a kind
- Mayor proposes student advisers for Downingtown Borough Council